In 2016, I took a Life Writing course despite my aversion to the idea of writing about myself. I didn’t think I had much to say or that my experiences were interesting enough. I was quick to learn that everyone in the class felt similarly.
Grace stumbled into the dark bedroom, shutting the door behind her and fell face down onto the bed. The rumpled sheets twisted around her body as she leaned to her side and scrunched into the fetal position. As she was beginning to drift off, her bedroom door creaked open at an eerily slow pace.
- Do you ever stare at a blank page?
- Do you ever save the document even though you haven’t made any changes?
- Do you spend too much time formatting the document and organizing notes?
- Do you ever finish a sentence, paragraph, page, erase half of it, then start over again?
- Do you ever get tired and tell yourself you’ll finish it later?
- Do you ever motivate yourself to finish something only to recognize why you left it behind in the first place?